Sunday, March 8, 2009

TOP FIVE (Vol. 6) - Dane Cook


Top Five reasons Dane Cook has dropped off the face of the earth.

1. Mitch Hedberg was always funnier.
2. The Voice of the Generation post has long been usurped by Judd Apatow and his recurring cast of Regular Guys.
3. Hollywood, the bain but inevitable deathbed of all comedians.
4. How unfunny the commercial for the movie with Jessica Alba was.
5. How unfunny the movie with Jessica Alba was.

 - Fool in the Rain


I was actually just contemplating the relative obscurity to which Dane Cook, the King of Standup, has fallen. I don't agree with Number 1 though, I like Hedburg, but he never filled the stadiums that Cook continues to fill (even if Hedburg hadn't died). You are right though, Cook was/is the comedic voice of our generation. I mean, the guy had an irrefutable impact on the millennial vocabulary. Each of us has a Cook skit memorized, and just a few years ago it was pretty common place to see friends swapping favorite skits around the lunch table. Hell, we used "BAMF" (Bad Ass Mother Fucker) as a keyword for our giant SAT study books in my SAT class.

I thought the Judd Apatow point was interesting. Apatow became popular just was Cook was fading. You could say Apatow rode on the coattails of Cook's success. I mean the scripts for Apatow's movies are basically transcripts from a Dane Cook concert.

No comments: