Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The 5 Artists Who Embody Rock 'N Roll


1). The Gallagher Brothers (Oasis): These guys ARE Rock N Roll! It's in everything they do: their boisterous, they fight, they look great in leather, they live fast and rock hard. (What's the Story) Morning Glory has to be one of the 90's greatest rock albums. Who can resist breaking into a frantic air guitar solo when the opening chords of Morning Glory flood the air?

I think we can all on this blog agree that the Gallagher Brothers are our personal rock saviors. I'm still pissed that I didn't get tickets to see them in NY...

2). TV on the Radio: "We could jet in a stolen car, but I bet we wouldn't get too far before the transformation takes and bloodlust tanks and crave gets slaked" (Wolf Like Me).
Yea that sums it up.

3). The Rolling Stones: You can't talk about Rock 'N Roll without mentioning the Rolling Stones. They defined what it means to be a Rock Star: The oversexed, drugged out rebel. In a way you could blame the Stones for creating an unattainable standard of psychosis. Look how many have perished in pursuit. Just because Keith Richards can absorb any substance you throw at him doesn't mean the rest of us can.

Yet, I think it gives the youth of America an admirable goal to shoot for. Being a bad enough dude to bump a line of your own father. Damn.

4). Lynyrd Skynyrd: We can't forget where Rock 'N Roll was born. Rock evolved from blues and jazz, which originated below the Mason-Dixon line. I'm nominating Skynyrd because their two hits, Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird, are excellent representatives of both Southern Rock as well as American rock at large.

5). Led Zeppelin: I'll be honest, I've never been a big Zep fan, but I can't deny their incredible influence. I'm nominating Zep because they have inspired practically every rock band since the release of Led Zepplin I. Their musicians stand at the head of the Rock God Table, their symbol (Icarus, for those keeping score) is iconic. If the Rolling Stones defined the image of the Rock Star, I think Led Zeppelin defined the sound.

No comments: